Thursday, April 14, 2005

Mad Mary/Mary Magdalene Unveiled

Title: Mad Mary/ Mary Magdalene Unveiled
Author: Liz Curtis Higgs
Genre: Christian Living

OK, a few things....First there are 2 titles because the original book, Mad Mary was published in 2001. Then the book was re-released (I'm not quite sure when) as Mary Magdalene Unveiled along with a different cover. I'm not sure the reason for the second release, but her website states that the contents are indeed the same. Secondly, I think it's pretty cool that Liz Curtis Higgs had this book published well before the DaVinci Code even came out. This book is filled with TRUTH about who Mary Magdalene really was.

This book is two fold. The first half of the book is a fictional story about Mary Delaney. It's a story that explores how a modern day Mary Magdalene might fit into our society. It takes place in the windy city of Chicago and, well, involves lots of cats and cemeteries. However, just as Mary Magdalene, Mary Delaney's life is also beautifully transformed.

The second half of the book is an in depth study on Mary Magdalene. All myths are dispelled. Liz Curtis Higgs gives solid proof through scripture and in depth research that Mary Madgalene was simply a women who was delivered from seven demons and enjoyed a restored life because of Jesus Christ. She wasn't a prostitute or even the lover or wife of Jesus Christ.

Let me just brag a little bit about Liz Curtis Higgs. You will enjoy her writing as she is quite funny. She has a refreshing outlook and a talent to make understanding the Bible clear and relevant. In addition to Mad Mary, she has also written The Bad Girls of the Bible, and The Really Bad Girls of the Bible. Mad Mary is a spin off of these books. Liz mentions that there is just too much good material to simply insert in a chapter in a book and she is right! Liz also has several other fiction books ranging from modern day to historical fiction along with children's books as well. She's a personable gal who loves to talk to her readers. You can email her directly and she will actually return your email in a timely fashion! She will also autograph any book of hers and if you already have the book, she'll send you a book plate with a personal autograph that you can put inside your book.

Check out her website: http://www.lizcurtishiggs.com/

4 Comments:

Blogger dangeresque dan said...

too long- as mentioned previously tonight.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this book. I really liked it. One thing I really like about Liz Curtis Higgs is how she teaches a lesson to me as a woman with an entertaining story. I have read both of her Bad Girls of the Bible books. I read a chapter a week and used it as a fun devotional along with my bible reading. The women are so like me or you in the way they think and how the respond to situations. THe bible charactures come alive.
JC, thanks for doing this. There are a bunch of good books coming out this spring on the christian market. I have given my husband a list of 5 that I want!

9:24 AM  
Blogger JC said...

I know what you mean- there is so much good stuff out there. I have a handful of books on my shelf right now that still need to be read including Frank Peretti's newest "Monster"! I can't read fast enough to keep up with it!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

monster is on my list!

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home