Thursday, April 07, 2005

Pearl

Title: Pearl
Author: Lauraine Snelling
Genre: Romance

Pearl is the second book in a series about the Dakota Territory. If you want to read a book about a teacher named Pearl from the east who is running away from her Father and an arranged marriage, don't read this book. Although that’s exactly what this book is supposed to be about, it is really just a continuation of the first book Ruby. Pearl is merely a character added to the story to take the important attention off the interesting characters. Pearl does meet a man but the relationship isn't developed properly and I never knew for sure (except by deductive reasoning; he was single, she was single) if they actually liked each other. I guess he was supposed to be the strong silent type since they never really had a conversation. According to the back of the book her father was supposed to come after her and it was going to be a major crisis. But when he came to demand her home, her hero stepped in (saying more than he's ever said) and the dad left without a fight or resolving the issues (rather weak conflict). In the end two couples get married but it’s not quite clear which two since there are about three possibilities.

No worries though, Ruby's story continues on without a conclusion, since she may or may not have gotten married and the next book is about her sister. I look forward to reading the next book if only to put myself out of my misery, or perhaps it is more likely to prolong it. I'm only glad I skipped the first book since I learned, with a lot less reading, everything that happened in it by the author retelling it all. I fear though I may buy it anyway just to have a complete series to give away to an unsuspecting relative or unfortunate friend. Misery loves company....anyone have a b-day coming up?....

2 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Thanks for writing this review Holly! I've seen that series but never knew what the books were about and I wasn't too familiar with Lauraine Snelling.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched my sister read that book. Every five minutes she'd through back her head and sigh, and then she'd roll her eyes. I wasn't going to read it but know I think I will someday.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home