Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A House for Hermit Crab



Title: A House for Hermit Crab
Author: Eric Carle
Genre: Children's

I know this blog has been primarily directed towards adult fiction. I've thrown in a few non-fiction here and there and plan on reviewing more non-fiction in the future. However, yesterday, my daughter brought home a book from school by one of my favorite children's writers: Eric Carle. When she asked me to cozy up with her on the sofa to read the book, I was not at all intimidated by the "wordiness" of this longer picture book and as it turned out, it was a very timely story. So timely, I wanted to include it here on my blog.

The story is about Hermit Crab and how one day he realizes he has outgrown his shell. He is very brave as he moves about the ocean floor looking for a new home. Sure enough, he finds a new shell for his home, but decides it is rather plain. As Hermit Crab ventures around the ocean floor, each month, he meets a new friend that will come be a part of his new home. After the sea anemone, the star fish, coral, snails, sea urchin, lantern fish, and pebbles all become a part of his "home", he realizes that he has once again out grown his shell and must find a new place to live. Sure enough, another, smaller, hermit crab comes along and promises to be kind to Hermit Crabs friends if he can have his old shell. Hermit Crab once again ventures out of his old shell, and crawls along the bottom of the ocean and spies a new home. It's a little plain but he is excited about the possibilities!

Becuase our own family has just moved to another state, I really enjoyed this Eric Carle classic. Mr. Carle has over 40 books currently in print (and dozens more that are no longer in print)and I have found many of them at my local library. I also own a handful of my own (I just let my pre-schooler borrow them!) If I have babysat for you...(you know who you are!!), know that you have most likely heard a handful of Eric Carl's stories. I've included his website on the side bar and hope you get a chance to check it out.

One more thing... my next children's review will be The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (I want to re-read this classic before the movie comes out in December)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like my kind of book. Adventure, friends, water, pebbles...wait, was there romance in that?

2:05 PM  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

I love The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I've read that book many times. Can't wait until the movie comes out.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home