Wednesday, January 25, 2006

There is nothing like an old book

A friend of mine has a passion for old books. It's funny because she is an avid reader and also a pretty talented amateur writer. I love reading her emails and her blog postings.

She recently shared with me some of her thoughts and I loved the way she framed them. I thought I would share them with you. Maybe you too love old books.

I'm always amazed over how much depth there is in old books. Authors don't write that way anymore. At least I haven't read a book that's been written in the last 50 years that has so much heart. Maybe I should just broaden my list of authors, but I'm not sure that would help. What I really can't understand is, how do they write such deep books and still have enough depth to put in another one without it being exactly the same?

But my real complaint about modern books is when I put it down I know that nothings going to happen in it until I return, while on the other hand, I always feel a little concerned when I read old books that if I set it down something will happen in it while I'm gone.


So what about you? Do you have an old favorite? Have you read a book that has made you feel like something is going to happen the minute you put it down?

1 Comments:

Blogger jac-atac said...

Hmmm...I haven't read much Christian fiction at all, but as for old books in general...yes! I totally agree with your friend's statement! Most that I have read have unbelievable depth! Like Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I read Melody, by Elswyth Thane, a couple of years ago...I remember that having a lot of depth to it, and it was written around 1950, I believe.

Of the more modern books I've read, I'd have to say that Tom Clancy's books have just about the least amount of depth of any. I suppose they are geared toward men. Not to say men are shallow. Just, most modern men are not very poetic. I remember a line from Patriot Games that went something like this: "Jack grabbed the incapacitated assassin's gun and pointed it at the other terrorist. He shot him twice in the chest. Then,...blah blah blah." I mean, COME ON!! Is that IT? He just quickly SHOT THE GUY TWICE in a period of 2 seconds and we're already moving on to something else? That's a life-changing event! Doesn't it deserve more than one sentence to describe it? Not that I want to hear about blood and gore, but...okay, I'm getting worked up.

I did like your friend's quote though.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home